The days of relying on traditional sales techniques are drawing to a close, and your sales team needs to adapt. Both business-to-business and business-to-consumer relationships are being upended, and growing your sales means using new techniques to build trust, connect with prospects, and secure your future.
We’ll explore how sales channels are evolving and let you know how you can take advantage of these changes to build deeper relationships with your prospects and leads.
Traditional Sales Techniques and Channels Don’t Work Anymore
Customer needs are changing, and there’s never been more demand for our time or attention. Everyone is swamped with information and content, from emails and messaging to social media, online, and traditional advertising. It’s estimated that the average consumer sees over 4,000 ads a day!
No wonder that your potential customers are becoming increasingly cynical about traditional outreach and sales channels. So much so that four out of ten sales people say that prospecting is the most difficult part of their job. A quick look at the stats shows some of the main issues:
Telephone Calls are Not Being Answered
Robocalls and unwanted contact had lead to call fatigue — only around 10% of calls from toll-free numbers get answered, 15% of calls from out of town, and 30% from local numbers. We’ve moved away from having to pick up the phone to letting most calls go to voicemail. Many smartphone apps can automatically identify and block calls from sales numbers.
Emails are Deleted or Fail to Get a Response
Cold email, without any personalization, gets opened less than 10% of the time. Most people delete half of the emails they receive every day. Gmail and other email clients are becoming increasingly effective at identifying sales emails and spam, meaning many potential leads won’t even see your email in the first place.
Digital Advertising Doesn’t Hit the Mark
Ad blocker installation and usage is rapidly growing across laptop and mobile devices. 40% of laptop users block ads as standard, with 15% of mobile users doing the same, and this number is growing rapidly, year-on-year. Costs for digital advertising are increasing, with PPC and social media marketing becoming an expensive option.
Why You Need to Change Your Sales Approach and Outreach
It’s clear that there’s a strong trend away from traditional prospecting and marketing channels, and if you want to thrive, you need to adapt. Fortunately, for those businesses and sales teams with the right approach and technology, there is an excellent opportunity.
This opportunity comes from solving a major issue for your prospects and leads. The problem comes in three parts:
- Customers need access to relevant, up-to-date, easy-to-understand, high-quality information to stay informed and get a competitive advantage.
- There’s so much information out there, understanding, reading, and making decisions on this information is almost impossible.
- How can these individuals, teams, and businesses get access to the information they need in an accurate, sensible, and timely way?
Sharing great information is essential — individuals and businesses need insight and context so they can make better decisions, be more effective, and save time, effort, and money.
The Power of Content Curation for Sales
You can solve the issue your prospects have using the powerful technique of “Content Curation.” Give your prospects the information they need, when they need it, in an easily-digestible way and you will:
- Understand customer requirements — when you research potential clients to understand their needs, you can personalize content and sales outreach.
- Become a trusted source of information — give prospects the information they need, and they will come to you for additional data and insight.
- Build authority and reputation — as you read and provide content, you will expand your own understanding, which could become very useful to your prospects.
- Cultivate trusting relationships — people naturally gravitate to others who provide value. Share the best content and you will build trust.
This is not a traditional approach to prospect outreach, but the more personalization and relevance you provide, the more powerful your interactions will be. Your potential customers have never had more choice, so as soon as you start to add value for them, you will stand out from the crowd.
How to Curate Content for Your Sales Prospects and Leads
Content curation sounds like a lot of effort, but the right technology and approach will make things much easier. Content curation for sales breaks down into five basic steps:
- Identify your leads and prospects — create a list of the people and businesses you want to share content with.
- Understand the content they need — get insight into the individuals, business, industry and sector, together with the type of content that’s going to be most relevant.
- Locate that content online — search for the content and create a shortlist of the most relevant topics and articles.
- Personalize the content — review the pieces and create a brief introduction to personalize the pieces and the value the content will add.
- Share that content with your prospects and leads — use the channels that will best connect you with your target audience.
How Sharetivity Helps You Curate Content for Sales Prospects and Leads
Those five steps may leave you wondering how you’ll ever find the time to do all this. Content curation is valuable, but if you spend hours curating content for a handful of leads, how are you going to get conversions and meet your quotas?
That’s where Sharetivity comes in. Our software uses sophisticated algorithms and discovery techniques to understand your prospects and find the content that matters to them. Here’s how it works:
- Find your prospect’s social media profile, we recommend LinkedIn.
- Use the Sharetivity extension to uncover information about your prospect.
- Sharetivity analyzes your prospect’s profile and automatically discovers the content they’re likely to find useful, engaging, and relevant.
- Sharetivity allows you to share that information from within our software, or provides full integration with other sales and customer relationship management tools.
Sharetivity uses machine learning to see how your prospects and others like them react to specific types of content. This lets us accurately predict the most effective content for individuals and businesses.
Sharetivity also integrates with your sales stack — it’s an easy-to-use addon that will streamline your prospect research, content discovery, curation, and outreach.
Even better, Sharetivity is free to try — download our Chrome plugin now and learn how it will revolutionize your content curation, prospecting, and sales conversions.